Saturday, January 3, 2009

Thoughts from the Citris Bowl

Yes, I went--and yes, I sat in ri-freaking-diculous traffic coming home from Florida yesterday. My thoughts from the game:

--Tech, welcome to really. Maybe that will shut Paul Johnson up for the summer, but I doubt it.

--I think Stafford is great, but I do think he needs another season. These are the QB's in the NFL that I can think of that stayed 4 years: Peyton, Eli, Donovan McNabb, Matt Ryan, Chad Pennington, Tony Romo, Tom Brady, Matt Cassell, Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, and Jay Cutler. If Stafford wants to get paid right now, he can. But, if he wants to be a better QB once he gets in the league, he should come back.

--Knowshon on the other hand, should probably go. Don't give me wrong, I'd give anything to see him back, but at RB you have a limited number of hits in your body and you're always one dirty Tech player away from having your career ended. Richt's biggest personnel mistake was redshirting him. Hopefully he won't make that mistake again.

--MSU travelled well. I was surprised given how craptastic things are in MI. Also, their band paid respect to UGA by playing Glory, Glory before the game. Very classy. No problems with Sparty here.

--Bobo might be the most bipolar OC in college football. How he can alternate between brilliant and retarded so fluidly is truly amazing.

--You could tell before the game started that the coaches had a different attitude with the team. I have a feeling these bowl practices weren't fun. I've never seen the DB's do the Bull in the Cage drill before the game. Maybe they do and I've just missed it, but there was a clear difference in our physical toughness for this game.

--Special teams. I have no freakin' idea what the answer is. Richt MUST get more involved in that area this offseason. Florida has really elevated special teams play this year, and I would assume that the other SEC teams will be putting a huge emphasis on it this year. We'd better do the same.

--Nice block Caleb.

--10 wins is now a disappointing season. Man, we've come a long way from the Donnan and Goff eras. To me, there's two hurdles left to clear: being UF more frequently and winning the NC. I think these are going to be the two hardest hurdles, but one is tied to the other. We're not going to go on a 16-3 run against UF--no one is. But, if we get to the point where we look back at the previous ten years and we went 5-5 against Florida, I think we will have won a NC in that span.

No comments:

Post a Comment